Thursday, October 26, 2017

Tilted Fold

Three cheers for private lessons! I got one on silks the other night, by accident. And had my lyra private lesson today. I love those days. I look forward to every lesson. There are no other students to compare myself to, just myself and what I could/couldn't do yesterday. And all the attention from the teacher. I like attention. I just don't know how to ask for it.

We worked on more single knee cinch variations, with her spotting. These are hard. Turns out, I've been focusing so much since starting lyra on my lower core, I've perhaps neglected my upper core. I've got more conditioning exercises to do. If I can slow down that "drop" my upper body does when I let go of the hoop, my single knee cinch stands a chance of keeping the position. And I won't fall on my head. This is always a good thing.

Worked on more back balances. New flexibility training, scorpion back balance, grabbing my ankles. This is similar to the bow pose in yoga but you know, harder...balancing on a lyra hoop. This is meant to build up to a drop, from back balance to knee cinch. But my flexibility isn't there, especially in my quads.

Ball to the top, while she holds the hoop. It always swings forward when I try. She swears it's improved. It doesn't feel improved. It's a combination of tucking my big ass up, KEEPING it there, while pushing back against the hoop with my grip. I'm tired of saying, I'm never gonna get this. It really will be microscopic, painfully slow improvement, until one day, I'll look back and absentmindedly think, oh yea I used to not could do this.

She taught me a new move. I haven't been sending her new move requests lately. Partly because I'm just not finding many new ones and partly my mood suffering. This is a move I've never really seen, I don't think. I like it. It's called side ball, but she hates that name. I thought of side tuck. But I think it needs something even fancier. Like tilted fold!

At the end, she wanted me to spend a moment on my favorite pose, to help me feel amazing, end on a high note, as it were. What's cool about the new move I learned is I can then slide down into hip hang, which is perfect for getting into my favorite pose. I think I might call it, falling arabesque.


Speaking of...now that I have a new, fancy way to get into hip hang, maybe I can finally send her this transition I saw from dragonfly. Currently, my only fancy way of getting into hip hang is from dragonfly. Part of me was like, I don't want to ruin my only pretty way into hip hang. I should have known there would be other ways.

I might even go to silks class tonight. We'll see...I never did go to lyra on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment