Thursday, October 12, 2017

Arrow Variations

Today's lyra lesson:
  • Back balance, with straight legs. Apparently, I already straighten one leg for leverage without realizing. So practice shall include trying to back balance with both legs bent (scorpion) and both legs straight (more difficult). Also worked on leg block variation of back balance (one leg straight up in the air). No pics yet.
  • Ball to the top. We're going to work on this every lesson because she can hold the hoop for me. It swings out when I try by myself. She said it's already much improved since last time. Last time, all I could do was hover my butt over the bottom of the hoop and wiggle a little, clearly unable to do any kind of tuck, invert. Today, I could tuck more, thanks to working on this with my pullup bar. Still no inversion tho.
  • I wanted to work on a transition from arrow to single knee cinch. Rather than just be in a double knee cinch and bring one leg out, I wanted to work on a release with one leg on the hoop, let go, straight into single knee cinch. But I wanted a spotter. Safety first! I might ask to work on this again next lesson, before I'll risk trying it on my own.
  • Arrow variations, fun! My teacher wants me to practice arrow more with overhand grip. boo, kicks rock. But it will help, since arrow to the top of the hoop is always overhand. In my video at the end, I went back to my trusty underhand grip. But I promise I will practice overhand. Learned two variations, one with an arched back, bent back leg. Another with a hook over the opposite leg from tofu hook. What the what? She demo'd it for me and said, you might not be able to get back up into the hoop, that's ok, just slide down to the floor. But guess what? This chick could easily get back up, and my teacher praised me for it.


What a dork. I just realized watching the video that my teacher intended to spot me, releasing into single knee cinch, but it never occurred to me to do that. That would have made a pretty transition to capture on video. boo. I'm such a dork.

And that's it. That hour goes by fast, y'all. I grabbed a screenshot from the above video. So pretty...

No comments:

Post a Comment