Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Climb

I got my first climb on silks! I was struggling with the bit where I had to dead arm hang whilst kicking up my feet for the next climb. So we did some conditioning arm hangs, and after a few, I was able to hold my weight, so back to the climb. Just needed the right muscles to fire. Silks definitely works different muscles, or the same muscles in different ways, than lyra. Took a couple more climb tries, but then I finally did one, got to the second climb!

And by we, I mean the teacher and me. There were two no-shows to last night's class. Bad rain in the area earlier was probably the culprit. I essentially got a private silks lesson. It was fab! I like this teacher. She's one of the first I met, so I feel comfortable around her. New people make me nervous. And group classes already make me nervous, so I don't need a double whammy. I even took a flexibility lesson with her once. That was awesome...but expensive. For flexibility training? With my super inflexible body? I didn't want to pay that much. But I digress.

I learned several new poses. Didn't bother with pics or video. All of them use a single foot lock with both silks, so they're not even that high in the air, not really all that impressive, in my apparently not so humble opinion. Or too humble. Not sure which. I think of these silks classes as conditioning for lyra. But I won't be able to do much if I can't master climb. So, yay.

I also saw a much improved ball inversion. I was jumping but only a bit. I didn't have to catch my foot against the silks. I was also able to stack my spine and shove my hips in the air by "pulling" on the silks and then straighten my legs for a pose called pencil.

Tonight, I hope to make it to lyra practice. I'm sore, but it'll be good conditioning, as I have my private lyra lesson on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment