Friday, January 26, 2018

Lyra Class

So...I just didn't feel like going to silks last night. Instead, I thought, hey, I'll go to lyra class. There's a relatively new teacher at the uptown studio. I know her, I've been in practice time with her, but never taken a class with her. I may have anxiety at the idea of taking silks with any other teacher besides the one I currently take with. But lyra? I kinda like that I've taken classes with all the lyra teachers they've had. There have been three. This is the fourth. (and she was awesome!)

And I'm so glad I went! Seriously, I know I'm not supposed to compare. But my skills have dramatically improved since summer, when I sort of realized that classes were bad for my mental health. And I wasn't the worst! (That sounds terrible of me. But when you're constantly the worst, it's distracting. When I'm not the worst, I can buckle down and focus on my shit.)

Class was no picnic, either. I'm hella sore today. Even my elbows are a little achy. I've been doing a lot of pullup bar work at home. I think I might skip today. I wouldn't want to risk an overuse injury. I've never had achy elbows before. (It's achy in the pit, not in the knob, so it definitely just feels like muscle soreness.)

Toward the end of class, I had been paired with a former silks teacher, ergo, she's super strong. Since our sheets were pretty much marked off, the teacher gave us a sequence to work on. It was long, too. I wish I'd held each position longer, but I was just trying to remember what came next. It was nice having a fellow student's support. Even in single hip hang, which is my personal favorite, she hates it. When it was her turn, she's hanging here, looks over at me, and says, I do it for you. Then the face. The face of, wow this hurts. Yea, single hip hang can really hurt. I've done it so much, I feel nothing anymore. I don't have to grit through the pain because there is none. Anymore. I should stress anymore. Because it used to really fucking hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment