Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Lyra & Silks

Doubled up on aerials yesterday. First up, private lyra lesson at 1pm. I hadn't sent my teacher any requests. We worked on single knee cinch, she's challenged me to time these, extending the length of time I can hold it. I worked on getting my leg up and over the hoop in inverted prow. The idea being to do splits, but my splits? yikes. I bailed on momentum to seated during the first warmup, which was disappointing. My straddle was hard. I couldn't even cheat ball to the top of the hoop, we had to move on. It was just kind of messy. And I came away not feeling like I worked all that hard because things were just too hard.

The plan was to meet a friend for hooping after, she had expressed interest in learning how. So I had loaded up my hoops in my car. En route, she texts to cancel. Figures. I had still wanted to go do some hooping on my own, even though I forgot my baton, but by the end of my lyra lesson, I was feeling a little weepy, so I just came home.

I decided to go to silks last night at 7:30pm, to get more workout in. I talked to the teacher a bit about focusing more on the conditioning rather than the pretty poses, since I don't feel pretty when I try them, but I do enjoy feeling strong in conditioning. Last time, I had that meltdown with leg roll up. I was like, I'm never doing leg roll up again!

There were only two students, so it ended up being like a private lesson. And it went great! I did both warmup conditioning exericises with single wrist wrap: straight arm hang, knees to chest and shoulder lockoff, L sits. I did all four ball flows with single wrist wrap. I'm faster with russian climb, can get pretty much to the top with two climbs. By the time I've done the second climb, my hands are about a foot from the top.

I attempted leg roll up again, my demon. But only a single wrap. I did a basic footlock from the air, then one roll up. I'm discovering that footlocks can be tricky. From the ground, they're easier to get right, but it's still possible to get a bad footlock, which ruins anything after. From the air, they're even harder to get right. If you don't get your footlock right, you could be in for some pain.

Worked on clothesline #2 a bit. I have a distinct good side and bad side with this. But I didn't let it get to me.

We had a few mins at the end for free time. I wanted something on video. I got a hipkey. I want to get these consistent. So that I can do them from the air and be a bit higher off the ground. For now, this is what I have. And praise from my teacher! She gives such great praise. She even gave me a sticker for my accomplishment with leg roll up. I got a nice puffy hot pink eighth note and stuck it right next to that pose on my sheet. My teacher said that was the perfect sticker because I'm "rockin' it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment