Friday, November 24, 2017

Front Balance Challenge

Quick note about my private lesson today. After the warmup, we spent a bit of time attempting ball to the top. I, of course, still can't do this at all, but my teacher insists it's closer than last time, that since we've been focusing on this during our lessons, it's closer each time. We worked on arrow/splits under, getting the legs to move at the same rate to prevent tippage.

After, my forearms felt quite sore and warm. I looked at them, and whoa, they were swole like popeye. Not even exaggerating. My teacher said it's just the fluid pooling under the skin, but holy moly, they were hyooge.

At the end, my teacher wanted to give me a new conditioning exercise to challenge me even more with my front balances. During warmups, I roll up, hold for three beats, then fold back down, all without touching the hoop with my hands. She wants to give me extra challenge. Dangit, I knew I shouldn't have shown her how good I was. Can't ever just be good at something, nope, gotta make it harder, I joked.

Anyway, the challenge is to fold up and hold, per usual, fold down halfway, then back up. I tried it and nearly couldn't get back up, but I did. She told me she was showing this to an intermediate 2 student in a private lesson just the other day, and the student couldn't do it. I guess I downplay a lot. Especially a skill that doesn't prevent you from promoting to intermediate. My teacher thinks I want everything I don't have. And I don't think that's completely fair. I don't get hung up over poses I can't quite do, and there are a lot. It's just inversions I'm hung up on. Because that is what's holding me back from intermediate classes.

She's impressed with how good my front balances are. She told me I have my straddle now. And instead of just being happy, I replied with, well I'm still jumping a little bit. I shouldn't downplay. I can work on that. If the teacher, the expert, says it's there? It's there.

AND since she saw me at practice while she was giving a private lesson on Wednesday, she commented, you did a lot at practice, do you normally do that much? uhh, yea. I'm there to work, so I work. She said she saw me working really hard, didn't take many breaks. Yep, sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment