Friday, November 17, 2017

Favorite Pose

Last night's silks went great. I mean, there's always something in class that's a hot mess. And last night's hot mess was man in the moon. I'd seen this before and didn't care for the look of it. I totally messed up getting into it, so bad my foot got so tangled in the fabric, another student had to help me get out. Embarrassing.

Climbs went well. The usual three attempts each side. I did one each side of basic. Then my teacher asked if I was going to try russian. Yes, yes, I just wanted to try my trusty basic first. I attempt a russian climb. I try to reset to do a second, fail. My teacher pointed out that I need to bring my top foot away before re-scooping. Again, I attempt and was able to perform a second climb up. I tried to then reset my feet back to basic, nope. I wasn't that high, so I just jumped down. Third attempt, I am able to do three russian climbs up to the top, I dangle and reset my feet to basic, success! Yayness! Maybe after some time, I'll learn to like russian climb after all. We'll see.

Hipkeys are pretty solid. I was even able to do one with both legs straight. My teacher then saw and told me to tuck. Maybe it's an intermediate move to do them straight leg? Dunno. I'm going to ask if I can try from the air next time: take a baby climb and hipkey in the air. I think I'm ready to try.

I also want to try straddle without the knot. The knot was helpful. But now it's sort of getting in my way. I'm going to ask if I can try without it next class.

And I also want to ask if I can work on foot lock in the air. I learned this once awhile back, struggled with it. I haven't worked on it again. I think my straight arm strength is there now, I'd like to ask to work on it. I'd love to be able to climb the silks, foot lock in the air, and go into the poses I know, higher on the silks.

Back to double wrist wrap with ball inversion. Silks students will want to progress to no wrist wrap for their grip. As I'm taking silks to help the inversion part, it really doesn't matter to me if I can hold the ball position with no wrist wrap. What matters to me is being able to invert into position without jumping.

This is my favorite pose. A little pathetic because this is the first pose you learn at your first silks class. Except you're not allowed to let go. Letting go makes it more advanced. When I first learned this, I got it on video. I actually needed to put my free hand on my knee to keep myself in place. I've gotten way stronger since then. It felt totally comfortable to let go completely. My first silks class was July 10. I didn't like it. I didn't take another silks class until October 19. I have been to eight more silks classes since, nine total.


AND that first class, this pose has a variation in seated. You basically come down to a single leg squat. I couldn't do it in July. Or even recently with another pose (cocoon) that requires a single leg squat. It hurt too much to fully descend. Last night? No problem. My teacher says I have gotten so strong in such a short amount of time. aww, shucks.


p.s. This was my 100th day in the air! I've been tracking when I go to aerial training. Sometimes I do two in one day, I count that as one. This also includes that first free half hour mini class...it's my 100th day in the air, no matter how long I spent training.

No comments:

Post a Comment