Sunday, September 17, 2017

Frustrated

Rough lyra practice yesterday. Not sure what was going on emotionally, I almost never know. My period had started, so maybe that. Maybe just general frustrations with my weight, lack of strength, lack of flexibility. Who knows...

And it also could be because when I got there, they had taken down my favorite medium-height hoop, to take to the uptown studio for the performance prep class. Background: the studio puts on 2-3 student showcases per year. A requirement to perform is to take performance prep. And if there are lyra performers, that class needs a spare hoop.

It all came together like a perfect storm of frustration. The two hoops available to me were the low hoop (the baby hoop, as I call it) or the super high hoop. I'm used to a bit lower, so if I get into trouble, I can bail easily. For example, when I drop down to arm hang and need to swing my body back up to seated, if I fail this, I can simply drop to my feet. Not so with this super high hoop. I could potentially hurt my ankle, it's just too far of a drop. Not to mention single knee cinch. I can't touch the floor hanging upside down from my knee, so if my knee cinch is at all shaky, I could fall on my head.

The super high hoop is so high, the bottom of the hoop is above my head. And I'm 5'7. I can get up there, with my DIB straddle. But it's so high....

I let the frustrations get to me during practice. I admit, I succumb easily to frustration. I worked on as much as I could on that baby hoop. Then toward the end of practice, I realized that I'm just going to have to re-learn my catalog of moves on that higher hoop. Starting with the most basic of moves. Performance prep lasts 8 weeks. I can't keep practicing on that baby hoop. It'll be a chore. But I'll be better off, if I can get comfortable with the height.

No comments:

Post a Comment