Monday, June 19, 2017

Moody Inspiration

Had a rough class yesterday. No pictures or video. I suffer from the comparison bug. I didn't know anybody in the class, and they were all more advanced than I. I couldn't even DIB my straddle. And another friend of mine from another class posted a beautiful picture of gazelle at the top of the hoop. It's really hard being surrounded by students who level up so much quicker, usually because of some kind of gymnastics background as a child. Which I don't have. I have zero advantage coming into this sport. And that doesn't guarantee I'll get anywhere close to where I want to be.

Some improvement yesterday in single knee cinch, lifting that leg without any assistance. Dragonfly. I think I might be brave enough to try this on the medium hoop at my next practice. And rollups. I can roll up without assistance and hold the position, parallel to the floor, for a few beats. My teacher seemed impressed.

I just worry, with as much effort as I personally have to put into this sport, that others don't seem to, it won't be visible. If and when I ever get these advanced inversions, there will be no way to tell how much I struggled. Only I will know. I'm wondering if other students like me just quit when they realize how much longer it will take. I would love some inspiration. Some hope.

Here are some articles I could find that somehow make me feel a bit better...
And finally, this...

1 comment:

  1. If you've seen the TV series, Dance Academy, you'll know about the episode "The Naturals" and that you can't let them get you down. What I would add is that you're the one out there always trying and working and not giving up and that is to be praised!

    ReplyDelete