Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Nemesis

I think the format of this beginner class doesn't work for me. I thought it was for true beginners, like me, and that we'd all follow along with the same curriculum. That latter part is true. Except I'm surrounded by really strong people who technically shouldn't be in this beginner class. They all got their inverted straddle on the first try, the FIRST try! Me? I still can't even hold the position dismounting from the low hoop. I lack strength.

And following along with the same curriculum means it doesn't get tailored to me. I spend a lot of time working on things I just cannot do, while watching them all just get it. I'm stuck on the baby hoop. I never get to work in the higher hoops...because I can't fucking get up there.

And the teacher(s) keep telling me it's mental, it's trust. It's not. It's not not not. OK maybe just a TINY bit. But it's like almost ALL strength. I lack it.

We spent quite a bit of time on inverted straddle. My nemesis. I worked on the low hoop, getting into the same position they get into but reverse, like a dismount. And I collapsed each and every time. I was hoping for just a tiny smidge of progress. Nope.

Then we worked on outside mermaid and cross leg man in the moon, skills I know how to do, refreshers are never a bad thing, but there wasn't much about last night to make me feel good about myself.

So...I think it's the class format. There are four left. Just gotta struggle through...

I wasn't going to bother with video, but I did anyway. Terrible camera position, but I have no control over what people are doing when they video me. At least I got this one down now...


p.s. Terrible news for another student. She was working on outside mermaid. For some reason, everytime she'd flip over, she'd slide out butt first through the hoop. It's low enough that she'd just land on her feet, bent over essentially. But during one try, I guess she somehow flipped the hoop around, it whacked her in the face. Before I could ask if she was OK, I saw her tooth fall to the mat. YIKES! The hoop knocked out her tooth! I doubt she'll be back to class. She skipped last week, deliberately. So maybe she's just not as excited as I am about Lyra.

p.p.s. A friend sort of diminished my joy about Lyra. He asked if there was video (he's only seen stills that I post to Facebook). I showed him one, where I'm beautifully doing outside mermaid. He said, but where's the routine? He wondered why we weren't being taught transitions between moves. I'm like, we gotta learn the individual skills first. No more video for him, no more video for anyone with attitudes like his.

No comments:

Post a Comment