Friday, December 2, 2016

Feeling Positive

Two weeks! That's how long it's been since I skated. With Thanksgiving and our team "break," I have missed being on wheels. We finally had a practice last night, geared more toward our fresh meat, but the vets got some hitting time off to the side last night. I sort of had a breakthrough with a pretty big mental obstacle I've been having. And it all comes back to staying low. So cliché, I know. If there's a super strong skater, scaring me, about to hit me, if I can just stay low, she's almost not as effective. Sure, I might fall, but it's way less scary. It took a comment from a ref about my height to really get it to sink in. He can relate, he's tall too, a couple inches taller than I. He tends to just bend over when he's blocking people shorter. But that's still upright. And "blocker candy" as someone put it. I tried a few rounds as jammer, really concentrating on staying low as I got close to this blocker. She was really trying, but I wasn't falling. More importantly, I wasn't scared.

So, yay for mental breakthroughs!

After practice, some people wanted to get a bite to eat. I was feeling good, feeling happy about my derby potential, so I went along. It was a nice time. I got home far too late. Ate and drank totally off diet plan. But it was worth it.

This holiday scrimmage I signed up for is coming in a couple weeks. Then our team's invitational in January. Plus I signed up for a hooping challenge, a couple of them. I'm a bit behind on one, and another is just starting. I need to get my hoop on!

No comments:

Post a Comment