Friday, October 2, 2015

Anxiety

Derby last night. On Thursdays, we combine with the league. Since we haven't technically passed assessments, we're more considered newbies and can't work on full contact drills. I thought I wouldn't be the only rec skater there last night, but I was wrong. I'm not one to get full on panic attacks. Mine are more subtle. I just feel this incredible urge to run home. When the off-skates warmup started, and I didn't know anyone, I really wanted to leave. But I had just driven an hour to get there...I made myself stay for a bit. I told myself, stay for an hour and then you can go. So I just followed along with warm up. I geared up and just did what I was told. After a bit, I forgot how anxious I was. Until they split the newbies from the grannies. The newbies have assessments coming up. I wanted to stay with the grannies and work on other shit. So I did. And it was fun.

Until the trainer came up to me and told me they were about to work on contact stuff and therefore she was required to inform me that I had to sit out. I said I understood and did drills with the newbies. I hung in there until the end of practice.

le sigh

Everytime I start to feel like a real derby skater, I'm reminded that I'm not. Will never be. But I burned 1,179 calories last night. Scale was exactly the same this morning, which was disappointing. But my jeans fit a lot looser.

No comments:

Post a Comment