Thursday, October 15, 2015

Hops

Derby on Tuesday was rather pleasant. Our trainer was off skates due to a minor surgical procedure she had done, but I wasn't the only one on skates. Another skater showed up about 20 mins late. We did lap drills and then moved onto hopping.

I feel like I made some real progress there. I had two very advanced skaters just watching my form and able to pick apart what I was doing and have me work on corrections. I fell a few times but safe falls. Nothing scary. We also worked on lateral hops, since this is a fairly new addition to the formal assessments.

I may not ever actually take assessments again cuz our league just makes it so miserable, no thanks. But I would like to know for myself whether I can actually do everything on it. As we were breaking down the movement of the lateral hop, jumping to the side at least 18 inches, the other skater pointed out how far I was hopping and how it's a perk of having long legs.

Never been accused of having long legs before...for my height, I'm all torso. I have short, stumpy legs for my height. Only a 30" inseam at 5'7". I have a friend who's 5'2" with a 28" inseam. So yea, I'm all torso. But this skater is a wee short little thing, so I guess relatively speaking, I have long legs.

We ended working on some whips, per my suggestion. I enjoy these. That burst of momentum that I have trouble generating on my own is quite fun.

Tonight is practice with the main league. There are a shitton of newbies, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming. I will probably be the only rec skater again. Knowing this heightens the anxiety. I've been the only rec skater before but left for practice thinking others would be there. There's a strong urge to stay home. I'm fighting it. We'll see which side wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment