Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Skating Camps

I have a good friend online. We met online. We've never met in person. She skates roughly my level, so we love to "talk shop" together. What we're working on, what we're struggling with. We pat each other on the back when we make time for skating. We commiserate together about what our bodies just won't do. She just told me today that if she won the lottery, she would take us to Dorothy Hamill's figure skating camp. I looked it up and nearly choked on my coffee. $4,500? And that doesn't even include airfare or accommodations. umm, I better come away from that camp knowing how to skate like Dorothy Hamill, for that kind of money.

However, it intrigued me. Surely there are other adult figure skating camps. There are. Most very far away from my little southern, east coast locale. Except for this baby...

Atlanta Ice Dance Weekend

This is driving distance. I've actually been to this rink. I used to skate at Parkaire (now renamed Marietta Ice Center) when I was in high school. The Cooler didn't exist then. But it's a posh rink, much like my local Extreme Ice Center.

Too bad I missed this year. But it's probably for the best. I'm just getting back into my figure skating. But by next summer? I'll be much improved. I'll have lost some weight. Hopefully. And besides, I need reasons to look forward to summer. It's my least favorite season.

1 comment:

  1. A good way to keep up on ice dance weekends is to join this yahoo group: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/icedancers/

    George A.

    ReplyDelete