Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back Three Turns

Ah, scratch spins. Will these ever be consistent? I did one semi-great one today, super fast and controlled. My free leg and arm position need a bit of improvement. Did a few other decent ones, but I can hear my toe pick scraping. And completely fell out of a few others.


Forget my back spin today. I was making progress Tuesday. Today, it just wasn't happening. Annoying.

But my back 3's are making considerable progress. Back outside, I mean. I can't do the inside ones yet. So right foot, which turns counter-clockwise, is fine. I struggle to control the forward inside edge after the turn. It's a bit swingy. But I'm working on it.

However that left foot, clockwise turn, has never been close. I keep coming up on my toe pick. Maddening. Even on two feet. After about 10 mins of trying it over and over, I was standing there thinking, not moving. I went through the motions of the turn on two feet and did it just fine. Why on earth can I do the turn not moving? I did a few more. Then I tried with two feet extremely slowly. Perfect. Every few turns, I would add a touch more speed, until I was doing them normally with two feet.

Time to try one foot. MUCH better. Still not quite there. But I'm hardly coming up on my toe pick. The last few I did, I had a tiny flow of edge after the turn before I had to put my free foot down. Then the session ended. But I'm happy. It's incredibly frustrating to practice something over and over and not see a lick of progress. Then when I see even a tiny bit of progress, I relax a bit. I'll get these. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment