Monday, August 8, 2016

Lead Jammer

Sunday practices are tough. I remember when I was a newbie years ago; two hour practices about killed me. Even at the beginning of rec league days, spring 2015, I struggled. Needed lots of breaks, couldn't hang, was just a hot mess and out of shape. I may not be at goal weight yet, but my stamina has greatly improved. To the point where two hour practices are good. I can push myself the entire time.

Except now I'm in a league that practices three hours on Sundays. Stamina not there. Yesterday was my best and longest lasting performance, though. I took a couple really short breaks, like a couple minutes, one to inhale a banana when I was starting to feel that sick, hot stomach, pukey feeling. I knew no amount of water was going to rehydrate me. But I hesitate to bring gatorade because reasons. And then a little while later, needed another short break, hovering near the trash can, wasn't sure I could keep lunch down, and needed my helmet off. My head was so hot. But I kept those breaks super short (for me) and got right back out there. I didn't sit out any drills, including scrimmage.

Coach came over to tell me we were about to scrimmage. I replied, "Oh so I get to watch then." I was a bit relieved, that was while I was hovering near the trash bin. He said, I think you should try, you've been doing everything else, I feel confident in your skills. Yikes! I was a shit show, of course. All new derby skaters suck, is what I tell myself. But I was out there. We didn't have enough skaters to rotate, so all five of us on my "team" were out there every jam.

One of the jams, I was jammer. I've been told twice now I'm good at finding holes, a bit jukey. However, I don't seem to quite know what to do with the hole once I find it. I never get through. Feedback has been use my toe stops more and lead with my shoulder. I got through once last night. I saw nothing but white jerseys in front of me, I grabbed one girl's hips and whipped around, and there I was on an empty piece of the track to skate around. I had also gotten lead. By default, really. The other jammer did a panty pass, so she couldn't be lead. And coach told me to call off the jam. Well dammit, I just got through!

No comments:

Post a Comment