Monday, September 12, 2016

Mohawks

Whoa, low turnout at practice yesterday. D1 championships happening somewhat locally. I guess errybody wanted to go watch, go figure. Practice still went well. I was able to contain my anxiety fairly well. One skater said something really nice, almost the perfect thing to say, really. She said, I know the ideal result you want for this drill isn't happening, but that doesn't mean you're doing it badly; you're actually doing it really well.

Yea, coulda kissed her. Instead I just sweated on her. Like legit, a drop of sweat fell from my body onto hers, and she's all, was that sweat from you that just fell on me? Yea. *shame*

I got to know what it felt like to be told by coach that yep, you do that really well. It's a skill I sort of knew I did well, have been told by elite skaters at the other league. It's small mohawk steps, or T steps, side to side. I mean, ice skating yo. Mohawks are like the first step one learns. And my naturally open hips. Which makes plow stopping/braking difficult (read that drill from above). But anything requiring some kind of ballet turned out position, yea no problem.

Anyway, I wanted to push myself with this drill. Be faster, quicker, more agile. We were all individually working on it, around the track, cutting side to side, at a slight angle, so we were moving derby direction, round and round the track. I could get three T steps across, sometimes four. I was concentrating on staying low. These are harder the lower you are, but I was really trying. And coach came over, saw, and said, yea you're really solid on this. Yay!

Toward the end of practice, I was growing super tired, and when I get tired, my control over my brain diminishes. So yea, I was getting pissy and grumpy and kept thinking how I've still not "officially" passed assessments. boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment