Saturday, September 10, 2016

Microscopic

They say not to compare your chapter one to someone's chapter twenty. Except even the skaters I tried out with, well some of them, within a year had passed assessments and were even bouting! Most skaters I know have that timeline. Not me.

The rest? Well, I think they quit. I haven't quit yet. It's been so hard, and ugly at times, but I haven't fully given up.

A thought occurred to me. I'm not an athlete, never have been. Not ever in my life. Some of the skaters I knew who passed within a year had an athletic background or were otherwise in decent shape. Not me. So maybe these last four years have been playing catch up to athlete level. And now that I'm here (sort of), minimum skills are coming easier to me. I still haven't passed. But I'm close. So close.

For now, I'm going to need to focus on microscopic improvements. There's never going to be an aha! I'm suddenly amazing at X. But little by little, and I do mean little, each practice will get me inches closer to being halfway decent. That's my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment