Friday, November 1, 2019

Nemesis no longer

So much to be proud of. Last week was a rough week. I did so well, but this one move wasn't happening. And of course, I was fixated on that rather than all the things I was doing well. All last week, I could not get this move. Inside out splits. All unit, I knew it would be trouble. I've learned it before in private track. And it failed just as badly back then, too. I was the only student both classes last week that couldn't get it. It was difficult not to cry. But I don't like to cry in front of people.

Sunday kicks off a new week but still review of inside out splits. My first round was as expected...big fat nope. Then the students started learning a new exit from that move. I figured I would just try one more time to get the basic move, and I got it! It wasn't pretty, but I got it. So I wasn't ready for that new exit, I just focused on the move. This was on a 38" single tab, though.

Then class last night, after the review of the move, I figured I might be ready for the new exit. My first try went OK, teacher spotting and holding the hoop in place. My second try did not go well. I fell too fast through the skin the cats and landed on my knee in the hoop. But hey, I'm learning. I watched a few better students and saw that they tucked their booty back to center themselves under the hoop for stability before descending into skin the cats. I think that might've been my problem. I wasn't centered; my booty was too heavy and pulled me down.

So it's weighing on my mind that if I can only do this move on a single tab, I'll need to do the whole advancement sequence on a single tab. I don't like some of the moves on single. I don't want to have to learn them. I tried flamenco arabesque on the low single tab we were using in class. Nope. nope nope nope.

I then decide to try inside out splits on the 35" double tab hoop, the famous low hoop (it's always low). I didn't have much hope. I need a bigger hoop to fit. I was trying to drive my hands to flip the hoop back a bit, but it became an effort in comedy as the hoop would be in the right position for a moment, but as soon as I moved my foot to fit, the hoop would fall back. Rinse and repeat a few times. So I re-gripped my hands, slid my top leg as far over as I could, and really tried to hold the hoop back, and I got my foot in. At this point, I was used to inside out splits on a single tab so my top foot was flailing a bit, searching for the strap that wasn't there, when I remembered it's on the other side in a double tab. Then I tucked my booty and slowly descended via skin the cats. It was great!

I just wish I'd gotten it on video. When I'm really focused and concentrating, I don't like to bother with video.

Here's the only picture I've gotten of it, from Sunday, on the big single tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment