Friday, July 15, 2016

Laterals & Laps

Practice went well again. Coach put me in a drill I'd always sat out before. It's was more a bridging drill of sorts but really when it comes down to it, it was almost like real game play. I sucked. And that's OK, is what I keep telling myself. But here's how I sucked. I blocked my own jammer. oops. And they wouldn't let it go. Coach is giving tips after, then stage whispers, and don't block your own jammer. yea yea. *embarrassed*

Another skater was giving me pointers on another drill where I took a turn as jammer. She said I was really finding holes. Then she said, and you're really good at lateral side to side movements.

OMG...so this one skill, lateral movements, it's on assessments, and it's been the bane of my existence forever. Like it's always the one skill I say I need the most work on. And for her to say that, I was floored. Anyway she said all that but then noticed when I did find a hole, that I was simply pushing through using my wheels and wasn't getting anywhere, that I needed to come up on my toe stops for more leverage. So I'll try that next time, if I can remember. It's a shit show anytime I'm in there with real game play, whether I'm jamming or blocking. I have no idea which end is up.

Assessments will be during practice this Sunday. meep.

We did 27 laps as a pack last night. I never asked our time last time we did it. I asked last night. 5:17. My reaction was that was not good. Coach corrected me, no that's really good time for skating in a pack. I said I was just concerned about getting 27 for assessments. But 5:17, that's a bit over 25 laps in 5mins, I would say. As a pack. So maybe I stand a good chance on my own to get 27? Maybe.

I'm sore all over, not bad sore but just sore. Oh and I got kicked in the shin. I remember feeling it, it didn't hurt that badly. But the girl who kicked me was like OMG I'm so sorry, I just kicked you, are you OK? Yea I'm fine, yes I'm sure. It's turning a lovely shade today and is a bit swollen too. Battle wounds. hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment